Is it possible to have a love/hate relationship with rice... cause I totally do. About a year and a half ago Collin and Maxine gave Lila a big tupperware full of uncooked rice to play with. Little did we know at the time that she would gain an undeniable obsession with the stuff. I love it because she can play with this rice for hours on end. She pretends it's food and feeds her "rice toys," she pretends it's water and her toys are sinking in it and have to save each other, she burries her hands in it and tries to get me to guess where they are, it is occasionally hot lava that will hurt our house if we don't blow on it and cool it off, she spoons it into things and pours it from cup to cup, it truly occupies a significant chunk of her day when we get it out. I am also able to use it as motivation for her to clean up toys and be a good listener. That's all the good stuff.




The bad side is that rice covers my entire table and floor by the time we put it away, it is magnified by 100 if Launi gets her little hands on it. Also it doesn't matter how long she plays with it, it is never long enough. We have never put the rice away without Lila crying about it. Okay, so maybe those don't sound like good enough reasons for me to hate the stuff, but have you ever stepped in a pile of uncooked rice and then struggled to get it all off of your foot? SO ANNOYING! It's a good thing she does play with it for so long or else it would definitely not be worth it. Well Collin and Maxine, Lila thanks you and still appreciates your old rice.
5 comments:
Wow - I wish Isaac could play with something for hours like that. I can't believe it was such a hit! Lila's great. I consider that rice mess a small price to pay for the perfect toy.
Sheena, these posts have been priceless! Thank you for keeping up the blog!
Is that the SAME rice we gave her ages ago?? It's amazing how much of the stuff can spill and still not make much of a dent in the main tub. Or maybe you've just refilled it a lot. Either way, I agree that it's a small price to pay for having your kid entertained for hours mostly on their own. Isaac won't play by himself for more than a few minutes before he comes to get me. Hard to get other things done that way. :)
Man, if Asher would play with any ONE thing for hours (or even 1 hour) I wouldn't have a single bad thing to say about it! And at least uncooked rice is way less annoying to step on than cooked rice :)
This seriously had me laughing!!! While I am with everyone else about a toy that monopolizes her time, I am right there with ya about stepping on: Annoying!!!
Haha. Who would have thought that rice would be so cool. At the beginning of your post I thought to myself 'Yup. Definitely going to give one of those to Anna.' Then I read the end and imagined how I already struggle so much with keeping my kitchen floor clean. So maybe it is a good thing she has no idea what she is missing out on ;)
Post a Comment