Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Very Important Poll

Jake and I have been arguing for a couple of days now about whether or not cheeseburgers usually come with tomatoes. I know it sounds stupid but at least we aren't arguing about more serious things. Anyway, we would really like a little help on this one. Please respond to the poll on the right hand side and help us resolve this ridiculous issue. It doesn't matter if you know us or not, if you have come across our blog please answer the lame poll. THANKS!

22 comments:

Josh Menke said...

That's a tough question. I take burgers pretty seriously.

If I go to a sit down place, I expect tomatoes.

But with fast food, it depends on the place, and whether or not you order what that place calls a "Cheeseburger" vs. some other funky name.

Most fast food places do have tomatoes these days though.

Unknown said...

Hey now...All I know is that if I get a cheeseburger at any fast food place it usually does not have tomatoes included. (McDonalds, Wendys, etc..)

SuperMom and SuperDad said...

Well, if you want to get technical, almost every hamburger, cheese or otherwise, comes with ketchup. Ketchup is derived from tomatoes. Therefore, it can be surmised that the greater majority of hamburgers served come with tomatoes. So, the victor in this argument is...

Maxine Parrish said...

Sorry, Jake, but I think your wife is waaaaay right this time. Any respectable burger (cheese or no) should have tomatoes included unless otherwise specified. And if you're calling those dollar menu fast food items real burgers, then I think you might be fired.

Unknown said...

Well I am not in the burger business...but I think more cheeseburgers are sold in the world without tomatoes than with. (Ketchup doesnt count!)

Sheena Menke said...

Well said Maxine! Seriously, who argues that cheeseburgers don't come with tomatoes? It's been kind of a big deal in the Menke household lately.

Abby B. said...

here we go.

mcdonald's and wendy's both have unbelievably substandard food. for example, the burgers at mcdonald's are made from the cast-off meat that in-n-out essentially throws away. it's a fact that they actually have a contractual agreement that mcdonald's buys the crappiest meat around. wendy's isn't too far behind. they tend not to have tomato because, holy Mary, that would cost money. and God knows we can't have *that* going on. the horror! and because of these facts, food from places as questionable as these can't really be referred to as real cheeseburgers.

so, if you want a real cheeseburger, you go to sonic or in-n-out. maybe even carl's jr. but they will all have tomatoes.

sheena's right.

Unknown said...

I think it just depends on who deserves the definition of a "cheeseburger".

The most common sold cheeseburger

or

The most tasty cheeseburger

I would assume majority wins and so the most commonly sold cheeseburger may not be the tastiest...but I think they deserve the right to the definition since the sell more than sonic and in and out put together.

Dont get me wrong I would prefer a cheeseburger at In-n-out over McDonalds. But most childhood memories are from McDonalds since I did not goto an In-N-Out till my adult years.

Abby B. said...

it's not about tastiness. it's about standards. true cheeseburgers have tomato. cheap imitations don't.

DB said...

I have the advantage on this one since I know a little more of the story. A more appropriate poll would be, who in the world would want a cold tomato on a cheeseburger pizza? Better yet, who would eat a cheeseburger pizza in the first place? But I digress, in the purest sense of the word cheeseburger, the most it can have on it is a pickle without defiling the meaning of the words. No tomatoes are allowed unless it is a gourmet version - and therefore shouldn't be referred to as a cheeseburger at all.

Whitney said...

While you bring up a very good point Jake (regarding the most common sold vs. the most tasty cheeseburger) I have to get to the root of the issue here and think about how I would make a cheeseburger at home. You know I'm cheap and I'm no gourmet cook, but I wouldn't even consider making a cheeseburger unless I had lettuce and tomatoes to put on it.

Sheena Menke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheena Menke said...

Dustin Dustin Dustin, how very wrong you are. The very idea of a cheeseburger includes a tomato. Here is a bit more of the story, Jake insisted on making a cheeseburger pizza like the one at cpk. I went on line and read the ingredients to him, one of which was tomatoes, he then responded with a little bit of shock and disgust, to which I replied, "why is that weird? Cheeseburgers usually have tomatoes." He then very strongly disagreed and this argument has since continued. We are therefore only arguing whether or not cheeseburgers usually have tomatoes. Like I said, I am fully aware that this is ridiculous, but at least we aren't arguing about religion or if we should have more kids, right?

DB said...

Sheena, is that an announcement?

Unknown said...

wikipedia doesnt have a tomato on the picture of their cheeseburger. Is that a good source?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cheeseburger.png

Craig C. said...

I just had a late lunch at Capital Grille here in Chicago. I almost bought the cheeseburger, just for market research for this argument... but I didn't. I went with the steak salad...which was delicious if you care to know.

ANYWAY, I did look up the description of their cheeseburger, and low and behold... NO TOMATOES.

So I side with Jake. Though...the 6 dollar burger at Carl's "I'm a SLOB...DON'T BOTHER ME I'M EATING" Jr has everything on it, and I think that does include a tomato.

Maxine Parrish said...

I don't think volume sellers like McDonalds should be the ones setting the gold standard for what comprises a cheeseburger. Seriously, people. If that were the case then everyone should include all manner of artificial ingredients in their meat/potatoes/everything. But they don't. Because that's not how things SHOULD be.

DB said...

I'll settle this for you. Jake wins because of the tomato shortage - thus many cheeseburgers are not coming with tomatoes for the time being. Perhaps another time, another day, Sheena would win. Gotta support a brotha- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JCAeDUSLY

Sheena Menke said...

I will admit that not all cheeseburgers come with tomatoes, I never said they did. What I am arguing is that they usually do, at least often enough that one would not be surprised or disgusted at the idea of a tomato on a cheeseburger. Sure some cheap cheeseburgers here and there do not, but USUALLY a cheeseburger has a tomato on it, i know because I have picked them off my whole life.

provoloner said...

I think Maxine and Whitney made an excellent point.
If I was given the task of figuring out the ingredients for any particular meal I would not conduct my research at McDonalds, nor would anyone else in their right mind.
If you were to make an apple pie would you get the recipe from McDonalds? Or even a milkshake? They're tasty and popular but they are NOT allowed to be the standard by which others are defined. They are low-class INTERPRETATIONS of classic American cuisine.

Unknown said...

We are not talking about what tastes better. We are talking about shear numbers and statistics.

A statistically larger number would constitute the term "usually". Or at least majority. They can be used synonymously for this discussion.

So in order for a majority of cheeseburgers in the world to have tomatoes there would have to be no McDonals, Wendys, etc...
But we live in a fast food world where they will always produce and sell the majority.

This is an ironic discussion since I am the only one that eats hamburgers with cheese and tomatoes and Sheena does not.

Another point is to mention there is a difference between a deluxe burger (like carls Jr, Big Mac, etc..) and a plain old cheeseburger.

Unknown said...

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/09/news/economy/tomato_shortage_fast_food/index.htm