Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Radioactive Jake

This handsome man starts radiation tomorrow, Thursday the 10th.
Jake has been on an iodine free diet for a month and a half now so that any thyroid cells that might still exist in his body will be deprived of iodine. That way when he gets the radioactive iodine tomorrow it will go straight to those cells. Iodine is in most salt so cooking for Jake has been a serious challenge, he also cannot have dairy or egg yolks which has also really limited what poor Jake can eat. I had no clue how many things have salt in them, for example, pretty much anything prepackaged, premade or canned, needless to say we have been doing a lot of cooking from scratch around here. Anyway, I got side tracked. He is starting treatment tomorrow and will not be able to be around people for about 5-7 days after that. He especially won't be able to be around Lila and Launi. Jake will either stay upstairs in the office or downstairs in the basement. I am not looking forward to that part of it at all, but I am looking forward to Jake hopefully being 100% cancer free and being able to take his medication. He had to get off of it for the past month and a half to prepare for treatment so he has been exhausted almost constantly. He has really pushed through it though and been absolutely amazing. Now we are praying that this treatment will work and that this week will go smoothly for us all. Thanks so much for all of your prayers and support thus far, it has been needed and very appreciated.

2 comments:

JAM said...

Thanks to my wife for being a good support and cooking a ton of yummy iodine free foods that I will probably miss once its over.

At least I got a six pack out of it. Oh wait, no I didn't.

At least I got to take medication of waking up early to work on the rental property with Dustin so I would not be so exhausted.

We continue to be blessed and hope we can pay it forward to those around us.

Don't forget Friday night to light the Menorah for the 1st night of Hanukkah! We'll be partying for the next 8 days here even if in separate rooms.

Megan said...

I can't imagine trying to eat iodine free. Trying to be egg and nut free for Anna is hard enough. lol. Way to go Sheena for learning to cook for him. I know salt is in SO much stuff.

And being off medication?! If my thyroid dose is off, I can totally tell because I am literally exhausted NO MATTER WHAT! Like it kills me to walk up stairs. So no medication? Wow. And you guys always have kept such a positive attitude. You are my hero. Good luck. I hope this next little bit goes by fast - mostly because I can't imagine my husband being quarantined either! lol.