Simon Call Menke was born at 9:41 pm on March 24th 2011. He weighed 9 pounds 4 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. He has been the perfect baby so far. The nurses told me to not let him sleep more than 6 hours at night so I feed him at 8 or 9 pm and wake him up to eat at 2 or 3am then he goes back to sleep and I wake him up again at 8 or 9am to eat. He is such a little dream.



Now for the story of his entrance into this world. I had a doctors appointment on Thursday the 17th, the day I wanted him to be born, my doc told me I was measuring extra large and to go get an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that I had way too much fluid and that my pregnancy was now considered high risk. I wasn't suppose to be with out another adult at all times in case my water broke-the concern was that my water would break and the baby would lift up with all of the fluid and come down on the cord, suffocating himself. We had to do a non stress test at the hospital over the weekend and went in for another ultrasound on Tuesday the 22nd. This one showed that I still had way too much fluid but it also measured the baby at 9 pounds 6 ounces. That's when I decided to be induced and we made the appointment for Thursday morning.

We went in at 7 am and they broke my water right away. The doc didn't want it to break on its own and we thought it might get my labor started. Not much happened other than some not so painful contractions so I got on pitocin. My cousin Jennee was there who is training to be a midwife, Jake of course, and my sister who acted as massage therapist/photographer.

Jake just wouldn't be Jake if he didn't make an alarm sale while I was in Labor.

Contractions were dreadful and I was progressing pretty slowly, but Jake, Jennee and Whitney were amazing.

Once I was at a 7 they let me get off of pit and get in the bath. This was my favorite and least favorite part of the process. While in the bath there was some relief from contractions, but the woman in the room next to me was screaming the most horrific unbearable screams imaginable. It traumatized me quite a bit.

After the bath I was an 8 so they let me stay off of pit for a while longer. My contractions became bearable again and totally slowed down so I had to get back on. I was still progressing really slowly and they wanted me to be on more pit which I knew I couldn't really handle. That's when I asked for the epidural, I was almost a 9 and even though that sounds so close, with how slow I was going it could have been hours before I was complete. I had been in labor for 13 hours so far.

I got the epidural and it felt like it took a million years to kick in. They checked me again and I was complete but while checking they could only feel baby's forehead, nose and chin. Apparently you cannot deliver a baby vaginally when it is facing this way. Time for the c-section.


I was planning on an unmedicated vaginal birth and ended up with a c-section. Not what we had hoped for but the result was the same-the most perfect and sweet little boy ever.

Jake, Jennee and Whitney were the 3 most amazing people to have at my labor and I was so grateful to have them there. My doctor was incredible, the nurses were amazing and I'm pretty sure I have the most darling baby there ever was.

10 comments:
I'm sorry about the whole emergency c-section thing! I had one of those and it certainly wasn't at all what I had planned either :) But he is a pretty adorable little boy!
And I'm jealous he is sleeping so well. Peyton is 7 months and she doesn't even sleep that well yet. You really are blessed! Congrats!
He is so cute! What a handsome little man! Wow Sheena I'm just so amazed and impressed that you went through all of this with such patience and strength. I hope your recovery goes well and I wish we could be there to spoil you and make things easier for you. :)
We CAN'T WAIT to see you guys and your kids!
he's soo cute sheena! I love the name too!
I am so glad that you and Simon are safe and well! He is so darling, and of COURSE he's a perfect sleeper right out the gate (he is one of your kids, after all!). I love him already and wish we could be there right now to cuddle and kiss him! I hope you have a quick recovery - we love you all!!
It's crazy how your plans can go right out the window sometimes. But at least everything turned out great, right? He is so adorable :) Hope your recovery has been as easy as possible.
I love him!
That second comment of mine was from Maxine
I had NO idea you had a c-section! Where was that in Jake's status update?!?!?! :) CRAZY! I am glad things went as well as they did! I don't know how you go so long without and epidural, you my friend are crazy!!! haha Ok, I am just a pansy, but I am ok with that! I wish I could hold and snuggle him!
Sheena, i loved being there! Seeing what an amazing and strong person you are was an extra treat. Hanging out with my favorite Cousins was a blast as well!
How did I miss this whole post?! Congratulations! He is adorable. I hope you are both doing well. His labor sounds like Anna's. I got the epidural at a 9.5 and everyone was like what!? But I had been in transition for SO long. Anna was face up so I pushed for 2 hours too! Bleh. Evan's went much smoother without the drugs. But that is just how it is - each one is so different you can only plan, not expect. You know?! I am just so amazed you made it that long with your water broken and pitocin. You are seriously amazing!
Post a Comment