Sunday, July 20, 2008

Name that Baby

So here's the deal...I am 36 weeks pregnant and we are in desperate need of baby girl names. We are asking our loyal blog readers to give us any and all suggestions they can come up with. We only have a little while left to come up with something so give us all you got. Thanks!!!

15 comments:

Josh Menke said...

Here are some ideas from Maren and I:

Maren saw that the Hebrew version of Sheena is Jane. I like Jane since Jane Austen is a favorite author of mine.

If we had another girl, I think Maren would name her Rian (pronounced Ryan). If we had a fifth one, I think she'd use Dani.

We liked Eowyn a lot as well as Arwen, they're both characters in the Lord of the Rings. We choose Arwen partly since we had all A names so far.

One of our Bishops a ways back named their daughter Lorien after Lothlorien, also in the Lord of the Rings.

You could do Lauren since it's more "normal" and goes well with Lila, we think.

Since Lila is like Lilac and Lilac is a flower, you could try a flowery name like Jasmine.

Some other names: Sydney, Riley, Haley. I think these are a bit too "Utah" though, but that might be me.

I like "Earth" as a first name. "Earth Ocean Menke" always had a nice ring to it. Though Maren hates that.

Sara said...

Oh fun! I love looking at baby names, and since I am not prego- I'll take the opportunity for you! BTW, I am in love with the name Lila and might have to use it someday...

Names that I like, but probably won't use (someone in the family claims them or whatever): Savanna(h), Audra, Lacey, Lucy, Alyssa, Claire, Ellie, Eva, Ava, Hazel, Halle, Jaelyn, Jade, Kalia, Kenna, Lina, Morgan, Paige, Reese, Payton, Shaylee... To name a few.

My current fav is Olivia, with Livy as a nickname...

I also really like Jane.

I wish I were there to help you guys out, but we'll be back Sept. 1ish and I will do anything you want me too!

Amberly said...

I love the name Olivia, and Ella. Those are my two favorite girl names. I also like Savannah, Kayley, and Eliza.

Maxine Parrish said...

I said it before and I'll say it again: Praxedes! It's a classical greek name that works for both boys and girls alike - how can you lose?

Okay, seriously, you should go to the book store and take a look at a book called "The Baby Name Wizard" by Laura Wattenberg. I don't know how she does it, but she matches sibling name suggestions with each name (i.e. people who named their daughter Lila are likely to also like the names...). It's uncanny how accurate it is, because all the names that we were thinking of showed up in the sibling suggestions! Try it out and you might get a few good ideas through Lila's name. I think our taste in names is a little different from yours, so your best bet would be to look at that book. Good luck!

Praxedes...

DB said...

Hmmm, let me see what I got for you. And I'll be serious this time since you've not got a lot of time left:
Ashlyn
Braelyn
Dakoda
Kayla
Sequoya
Shalee

What do I win?

The Allan Family said...

The first thought that came to me was
"Lorelle"
It sounds cute with Lila.
"Lila and Lorelle"

Bittles said...

Maybe this sounds too hick from your Texas friends, but I love the name Maddie Jane. Good luck!

Devon and Josh said...

Sheena - you look AMAZING!! Keep it up babe!! Okay, now down to business!! I have to say that EVERY person I have know that has had a girl in the past year has named her and "A" name... so going with that tradition, I choose Addilynn - a name that my cousin Sarah named her daughter (therefore, one I am banned from using!) Best of luck on finding a name... what pressure!!

amanda said...

sheena, you look fantastic! i am jealous of how beautiful you look at 36 weeks. i was incredibly portly at that stage, and my legs and feet were swollen for the last 6 weeks it seemed. it was horrific and painful.

i am a huge fan of unique names, but i detest names spelled all weird for the sake of being different. i really like the names of 2 generations ago. here are my faves:

stella
etta
beatrice
maude
edith
olive
estelle

but pick whatever you want. who cares what other people think or say your baby's name should be (including me). you'll know what's right, and it'll be perfect.

Lianna said...

what about your middle name? you could change the spelling or add something to it. Marian
Or, didn't you always say you were going to name your daughter Alora Lianna??
this family in my ward named their girl Aurora, like Sleeping Beauty because their 3 yr. old son loved princesses :)
I'm not going to tell you what I want to name my girl if I ever have one cuz you already got close to one of my faves Layla.

Katie said...

You do look great, Sheena.

Hmmm... Let me think. Here are my suggestions that I think sound okay with your last name:

Savannah
Annabelle
Andrea :)
Hannah
Grace
Taylor
Victoria
Julia
Brooke
Jocelyn
Claire
Evelyn
Amelia
Paige
Caroline
Charlotte
Lydia
Camille
Jacqueline
Marissa

I will say that a few names on there are still in serious contention for future Hampton babies, but if you don't mind, I don't mind. :)

* Stephanie said...

I love thinking of baby names, and we have used up almost all the boy names we can agree on, but have lots of girl names we like. So, here's some from our girl list, maybe one of these will give you an idea:
Aurora (Rori)
Avagail (Avi)
Ella
Amalie
Lillie
Hannah
Mari
Adison
Grace (Gracie)
Olivia
Brooke
Mara
Eva
Amity
Audrey
Avery
Glori or Glory
Eden
Hazel

amber said...

What about Kaya?
You do look lovely!

Starlee said...

Well, looks like you've got a lot of good suggestions. Mike works with a guy with a darling little girl named Haven - unique, but not super weird. I'm sure you guys will come up with a lovely name and that she will be just lovely too. As long as you don't name her Bella, I'm sure I'll love whatever you choose. You have good taste!

and peanut makes three... said...

Can I just say...you are ADORABLE. Sheena.. you are just the most beautiful pregnant woman I know. you make being pregnant look good ;)Everyone elses names are way cuter than anything I can think of...go with all of theirs! Its much safer :)